Hey everybody! Salam!
First of all thanks for the questions you posted. I think we all have been disappointed with the capabilities of the internet that have been used (misused) by people to sequester themselves into narrow minded cliques, essentially cutting off real interaction.
I look at this forum as a fabulous opportunity to explain to you all my (i.e. Muslim) side of the view. So without any further ado I’ll get right to your questions and do my best to answer them all.
- On the lighter side… I know you don’t necessarily reflect all liberal Muslims here or anywhere else, but I’m curious about the similarities between your typical daily life and those of "native" citizens. What is your overall opinion of American entertainment? (good, bad, immoral, stupid, funny?) –Skippy
- For reference, I’d like to know Mohammed’s take on capital punishment. When, if ever, is it applicable? (Murder, adultery). What method should be used? (E.g. stoning vs. lethal injection). I’d also like to read his opinion on the Danish Mohammed cartoons. –Flaky
- My question is – as a liberal Muslim, how much similarity (if at all) do you see between conservative American Christians and conservative Muslims in theocratic countries? –rob
- Where is it written in the Quran that women should wear a veil? and what is the meaning of it? why do they look at a woman as a sexual object? –Dany
- Does your religion permit you to question or logically inquire into the existence or nature of your god, or is doubting your god’s existence forbidden? If it is forbidden, do you consider it cruel for that god to not provide any type of measurable proof of his or her existence? –GlitchCog
- Is there now or has there ever been in the past a sizable liberal Islamic tradition? As a self-identified liberal Muslim, I would imagine that you would be well situated to answer that question. The reason I ask is because I know that Christianity in the US used to be largely liberal. It emphasized helping the poor, the dangers of greed and power, and intellectual understanding of the teaching of Jesus. –Sidfaiwu
- In the metric that the West and the Middle East share Abrahamic religion, do you believe it is possible for some form of reconciliation of the two, and what would be the conditions for this to occur? –Thomas K.
- Am I mistaken that if Israel (the land) were to be re-distributed or totally internationalized that the Jews would still be treated and looked upon with the same contempt throughout the region? To re-state that, is it really more of a hatred of Israel (the people), Israel (the land that’s being occupied), or just a combination of both? –Josh
- How the mothers can so willingly say that they sent their children to battle for various reasons? What in the religion makes people sacrifice their children instead of trying to protect them? –JKM
- Do you believe war is an irrational part of the human condition? –Thomas K.
Thank you everybody! It felt very good to be able to answer your questions. If you post more questions (maybe about the answers I’ve given?) and gasmonso allows, then I will surely respond. And thanks gasmonso for giving us the opportunity to interact.
My best regards to you all,